Pages

Background





Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In social studies we talked about where we are in the world. We are in a city that's in a state that's in a country. Students identified Montana on a US map. We read the book Zoom, and explored Google Earth (until it hung my laptop for the remainder of the day).

For spelling, I gave students mini white boards. I fingerspelled words to them which they had to write on their board before telling me the word. Most of them knew the word immediately, but I wanted them to integrate a variety of learning styles.

It was cold enough that students stayed in for all recesses today. The other kindergarten class joined us for a movie during lunch recess. We had to have a talk about the importance of NOT talking during a movie so that others may enjoy it. I have to say that the majority of the talkers were from the other class, but I think it's important to teach students to be courteous of others, especially as they go out to the movies with their families.

We played a Bingo game that required students to identify numbers 1-30. We also played a counting game. We stood in a circle. I randomly chose a number and we counted up to that number. The person who said the chosen number had to sit down, then the next person started back at 1 and we counted up again. After everyone was "out," we played again and this time the person who said the chosen number stood. It was a great game for practicing counting.

No comments: