Pages

Background





Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I must begin by apologizing to Nick. I recorded him talking about his favorite computer game, and then didn't bring home the file. I'll post it in the morning. We had a good day. We did a lot of work on sounds--identifying where they are within a word, stretching words, and blending sounds. I gave students a simple dot-to-dot, with numbers 0 to 10, to complete for their morning work. I was surprised by how few of them knew how to do it. I'll be sure to do more dot-to-dots.

In math, we learned the greater than and less than symbols and compared numbers. Students worked in pairs to put plastic chips onto a 10-frame. They learned that if they had more chips than spaces on the 10-frame, their number was greater than 10. During centers, I pulled reading groups to the back table. We're working on pointing to words as we read them. It is very important that students learn one-to-one matching before we get too far in reading. The books we use in the beginning are very simple and repeat a lot, and I need to know that they recognize the individual words and are not just memorizing the pattern or repeating what the person beside them is saying.

No comments: